lorenkayle

Loren's eLiterate

I like all sorts of genres, and I love a good series. However, I dislike books that portion the story out to readers in a serialized fashion over several volumes, and I refuse to buy them.

Neanderthal Seeks Human: A Smart Romance (Knitting in the City, #1) - Penny Reid This book was very cute and laugh-out-loud funny in several places. I don't think I've read a more enjoyable heroine in a long time. Much of Janie's quirks are based on her low self-esteem, something the author explained without making the mistake of beating the reader over the head with it. There are a few loose ends left dangling, but they're not so important as to detract from the book, and they've most likely been left as a hook for the next book scheduled in the series.

There are a couple of things that kept me from giving this five stars. There are grammar/punctuation/spelling issues that were noticeable enough to be distracting, and the book would benefit greatly from a good line editor. Also, since all but the epilogue is from the heroine's POV, the hero wasn't as fully fleshed out as I would have liked. (Still, how can you fail to like a hero nicknamed "Sir Handsome McHotpants"?) Those issues aside, I'm looking forward to reading Ms. Reid's next book in her projected series, and I'll consider it an auto-buy.