lorenkayle

Loren's eLiterate

I like all sorts of genres, and I love a good series. However, I dislike books that portion the story out to readers in a serialized fashion over several volumes, and I refuse to buy them.

The Good Life - Jodie Beau I wanted to like this book, but there were just too many problems with it. Only the hero, Jake, allowed me to give it two stars. His willingness to call the heroine out on her behavior was refreshing.

But without Jake, this would have been a one-star read for me.

It starts off with a long info dump within the first few pages, which didn't encourage me to continue reading. However, I soon found that I disliked the heroine, Roxie, so much that the info dump didn't matter any longer. Roxie was immature and indecisive, and she quickly became annoying. She wandered aimlessly through her life, running away when she had problems and relying on other people to give her direction. She acknowledges to herself that she's immature, but rather than working to change that about herself, it seemed as if she just gave a mental shrug and continued being immature. Her constant back and forth relationship with Jake became tiresome and made me wonder why Jake loved her. I finished this because I try to finish every book I start reading, but it was very close to a DNF for me.