lorenkayle

Loren's eLiterate

I like all sorts of genres, and I love a good series. However, I dislike books that portion the story out to readers in a serialized fashion over several volumes, and I refuse to buy them.

Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2) - Lisa Kleypas If allowed, I've give this 3.5 stars. This book is difficult to review for me, since I ended up liking it very much, but I almost stopped reading it early on. It gets better as it progresses, but the first few chapters contain a great deal of telling and very little showing, and there is far too many info dumps. We're given the life history of virtually every character in the book (and usually at the moment they first appear - see comment regarding info dumps), with the exception of Kevin, who was never elevated above a one dimensional character. Alice was given a brief moment that allowed her to become more fully developed, but it was a very brief moment, and I found the apparent resolution of the problems between Lucy and Alice to be particularly dissatisfying..

All that said, I ended up liking it. The fantasy elements were an enjoyable touch. I liked Lucy and Sam, and I was intrigued enough by Alex and Zoe to want to read their story.